Sunday, February 13, 2011

Lime Kiln Trail revisited

Despite weather reports, the rain had its time overnight and today was a lovely sunny day.  The wind had died down too and it was perfect for another hike.
Adventure dog and I put in 13.5 miles this weekend, and I'm proud of him.  His little legs have to move so fast and he runs around and explores, so he put in more than just the trail distance.
We went with my friend and his dog Clark, who had joined us for Ebey's Landing previously.  I think there were even more rusty relics visible this time than last time. I'm not sure if I was more observant today, or if people look for them and then move them near the trail for the rest of us to see. 





I wandered a little back in the trees looking for some more antiques and found a partial saw blade sticking out of a tree. 

We wandered around the lime kiln and looked at it from all angles.  I had reset my camera settings and it did a lot better.  Even with the sunnier sky, it was still a little gloomy under the moss-draped trees here and there.  I was surprised that there was some snow here and there on the ground.  I picked some up and it was like Dippin' Dots... little round ice pebbles.





I got a nice picture of this particularly pretty waterfall on the far side of the Stillaguamish. 

When we got down to the rocky "beach" area to eat lunch, someone had spent considerable time building little rock stacks.  At first I thought the large one with the pointy rock must be sticking into a hole in the rock above, but it wasn't... it was just balanced perfectly.  I found it funny and odd that the dogs both went straight to the stacks and checked them out too.  I'm not sure if it was the smell of people, or if they could tell it was not a natural formation.  I never though that dogs thought about how rocks should be though.  : )



I think about rocks though.  As someone who had once dreamed of being a geologist, I love rocks. Or to quote Luto from The Labyrinth, "Rocks friends."  lol  This one was really pretty though.

So I think I soaked in enough miles, dripping moss, muddy dog, creek water, cool rocks, and rusty artifacts to get me through another week of work.  : )  What a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, what neat rock stacks! The pointy one looks like the sail of a sailboat. So to me it looks like there are things balancing on top of a sailboat. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazingly beautiful place! That water looks to be moving pretty fast:)

    ReplyDelete