Saturday, May 14, 2011

Wallace Falls Again

Today’s hike was about 5.5 miles round trip, and I was hoping that even though I had been here before, it would be a nice morning.  It was lovely.  The sun was out off and on, the flowers were blooming, the huckleberries were fully leafed out and the ferns’ fiddle heads had unfurled enough to look more like shepherds’ crooks.  I saw trillium, wild strawberry and bleeding heart, as well as other flowers.

The trail follows the Wallace River along, and crosses a couple of its tributaries.  The sound of water is a constant, along with birdsong which could be heard in between other hiking groups.  This is a popular trail!!

I wore my barefoot shoes and was not too sure about such a long hike and over some rocky terrain here and there, so I packed my hiking boots as well.  I didn’t need them.  My feet felt so light in these that I ran up all the stairs.  It was also nice that my footsteps were quieter.  I felt just that much more a part of nature, rather than apart from it.
The various fall areas along the river have been given pretty creative names.  One tributary with a falls is called Small Falls, and the main falls are Lower, Middle and Upper.  I had actually only ever been as far as Middle before.  Here is Cedar at Small Falls.
Lower Falls has a nice covered picnic area at the overlook.  It’s pretty, but one of its biggest attractions is the view of Middle Falls through the trees.


Middle Falls has viewing areas above and below and is the largest cascade at 265 feet.  It is really magnificent. 
Upper Falls was very much worth hiking further for.  It really crashed and churned, pumping copious amounts of mist into the air.  This falls won the enthusiasm award, haha.   In addition, Upper Falls has a beautiful view of the valley below. 

Here are some other pictures I took that I liked.  If you are going on this hike, go as early as possible.  There were really masses and masses of people on it. 


It was fun to see a little wildlife on this hike as well.  Really little.  : )


1 comment:

  1. Very nice! This looks like a beautiful hike, with plenty of waterfalls. No wonder everyone else wants to go. The video at the end made me snicker though.

    ReplyDelete