Sunday, June 5, 2011

Goat Lake- Mt Loop Hwy

Luckily I looked at the directions a second time and then looked to see where the Mountain Loop Highway was closed, because I was aiming for the closer end at Granite Falls, and instead found I would have to go in from the Darrington side.  This trail was so fun and lovely that it didn’t seem like 10 miles roundtrip.  There are both an upper trail and a lower trail, so an option for a loop.  I took the upper trail going and the lower trail coming back.  The upper follows an old road, and follows a broad and gently ascending path through young alders, with the occasional view of the surrounding peaks, and crossing many small streams, some of which have lovely waterfalls. 



In one of the open rock slide areas, I saw a cute pika.  He was squeaking every couple seconds until I tried to get him on film and then he only did one last one.
After meeting up with the lower trail again, I entered an older forest.  Cedars here were so huge that you may find yourself believing in ents.  Those great old trees lifted gnarly mossy branches to the sky that were as big around as trees themselves.  A huge boulder was gripped in the root system of one of them.


  Once I started to hear the McIntosh Falls, I became distracted and temporarily lost the trail.  It was easy to do.  The trail turns to follow a dry stream bed, so rather than follow that I went straight and followed what was once was the old wagon trail there.  I could soon tell by the old cedar planking.  Also I had called the ranger station earlier to make sure the trail was open, and the lady had said that not only was the trail snow-free to Goat Lake, but also logged out, so no trees to climb over.  I found myself facing a row of logs I’d have to scramble and turned around and picked the trail up again. 
McIntosh Falls was prettiest, I thought, from a lower viewpoint rather than from the main trail. 
Just a skip and a jump from the top of the falls, and I was at Goat Lake.  It is a large lake, surrounded by a rocky ridge dotted with snow, and snow-packed avalanche chutes.  Awe-inspiring cascades plummet from every precipice. 




Cedar and I found some logs along the quiet left shore of the lake to have our lunch.  We were just finishing up, and going for a refreshing wade when this cheeky Stellar jay came to see what crumbs we might have missed.


Reluctantly leaving the lake, I scanned the deep blue waters and jagged peaks again for one last look, and that is when I saw goats at Goat Lake.  High up on the rock slopes above a clearing there were two shaggy mountain goats.  Saying I was delighted, is putting it mildly.  : )  They were quite a ways off, so I apologize for the blurriness.



Going back down on the lower trail had Adventure Dog and I following Elliot Creek through more lovely forest, with more streams to cross, the pungent smell of skunk cabbage, and this nifty red bug, which my field guide claims is a Red Flat Bark Beetle.



I would like to do this trail again!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, you got to see goats!! That is so cool! I'm jealous. I especially wish there were wetter trails around these parts. All of the trail guides I've been reading say things like "bone dry" and "bring lots of water". With the shaggy mountain dog that I have, I'm afraid we'd both bake half to death halfway through a trek.
    What a cute pika. Not sure I've ever heard one squeak before. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete