Sunday, August 21, 2011

Kangaroo Zoo- Arlington 8/13

I am finding my Mt Rainier goal was so huge to me, that I have been a little lost since that adventure, and my blog has been neglected.  I haven’t been hiking both days of the weekends, just one usually.  I think I will get back on board soon though.  There are a lot of places I want to explore before we dive back into our dark wet winter.
Last Saturday, Justus and his friend Nicole and I went to the Outback Farm in Arlington.  I have been once before, and it is just a really fun place to go.  You can pet the friendly kangaroos and wallabies, look at a variety of birds, leaping lemurs, a feisty miniature horse, donkeys and feed an alpaca out of your lips.  : )  The owners are friendly and informative.  Justus got to feed a piece of banana to the lemurs for being one of the winners of dancing to the Madagascar song, “You’ve got to move it, move it!”  I got to feed them a piece for remembering that the predator dog there is called a fusa.  LOL

They had pheasants, peacocks, ostrich, emu, chickens, turkeys, muscovy ducks and probably a variety of things I didn't notice.  There were so many to see!




There were a lot of babies on the farm to see.  The baby donkeys were surprises, as they didn’t realize tow of their jennies had bred.  They were not quite 4 weeks old and so wooly and cute!  There were also some baby kangaroos and wallabies.  One mom was laying on her back and you could just see a tiny bump in her pouch wiggling around.  The blurry roo against the fence has a joey head poking out of her pouch.  I'm not sure it shows up very well.  I had forgotten my camera so all these were taken with my iphone.



So here are some pictures of the various roos.  The owner would tell us if the animal was OK with being petted or not. If they were nervous around people he would tell us to just leave that one alone, so he was pretty cognizant of each one's comfort level and knew them each by name.  





 
There were also these neat little beasties called patagonian cavy.  Last time I was there, they were begging for treats and being very friendly, but this morning they were meditating or something and couldn't be disturbed.  They gave me vaguely annoyed looks for photographing them. 


One of the last things we did, was we got to feed a llama a food pellet with our lips.  I think Justus has the pictures of me doing this, so until I get them, I will let Nicole demonstrate.

Actually, now I have one of me, but it's pretty silly and not flattering of anyone but the llama, so I'm leaving Nicole's pic up and just putting mine in anyway.  : P

No comments:

Post a Comment