Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Devil's Rock Garden 4-28-12

A new place to explore!  Dave had been to the Devil’s Rock Garden years ago, as had his friends, so luckily he remembered the way even though it is not marked and is private property.  His friend Sean and Sean’s 5 and 6 year old daughters came also.  Along the way we found this waterfall, dubbed Crystal Falls.

Once there, I was amazed.  It is like a playground.  I am curious what caused this area to be like this.  It looks like a massive promontory of rock just blew into huge chunks and fell in a layered pile of fractured rock.  Some of these boulders are massive, and some are as small as a Mini Cooper.  Some are jagged and sharp and some are moss covered and slippery.  This is a place that you really have to use caution to enjoy without injury.










Dave climbed up higher than I wanted to go. 


I did pretty well though, and had a great time.  I would love to go back here again with more time and some bug spray!  : )


5 comments:

  1. Wow, this is just a rubble field of rocks huh? Crazy. It looks like a mountain exploded. I wonder if it's glacial leftovers that couldn't go any farther, or an earthquake destroyed the area or what. Have you looked up any information about it? How did the little girls do? That would be a fun place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance you could post some directions? I have done this hike two times now and cant seem to get to the rock garden. Every time I get onto the trail I see a red sign that says "Rock Garden? Crystal Falls?" with arrows pointing straight ahead. However, when I follow this sign I don't know what I am doing wrong because all I ever find is more logging roads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it took me so long to respond, Anonymous from 12-10. Unfortunately I'm not even sure I could find this again. I was with two people who had been there before and one of them had it on his GPS or we would never have found it. As it was, we made several wrong turns and it took us a bit of searching. It seems there was a road that eventually turned kind of grassy/unused and then the rock garden was a the top of a hill, but surrounded by bushes also, which made it difficult to tell we were in the right place. All of that land is private I guess, so they don't want to make it easy to find. Good luck! I hope you get there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hiked with some friends there years ago before the rocks were so mossy. It was a rainy day. One of us slipped and landed on her knee giving her a lifetime of knee problems. Didn't that used to belong to the Scouts? And wasn't the road that led up to the access path actually a railroad grade?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The boulders were deposited there by glaciers most likely. There are several established rock climbs in this area. Best way there is to walk down walker valley rd past the gate and down the gravel road. You will pass a gate to the right, then a pump house on the left. Eventually, a large pullout on the left and a rope in the trees on the right signals the start of the public access trail. All other access is on private property.

    ReplyDelete