Monday, June 4, 2012

Big Gulch, Mukilteo 6-4-12

For today's little adventure, Cedar and I added a couple miles to our more typical 2.5 mile walk.  We went down just partway of the very lovely Big Gulch.  I'm not sure what stream flows down this gulch (Big Stream? haha), but it is always peaceful to trek down the path with the burbling brook always cheerfully singing alongside.  I always hear many birds along this path, even great horned owls a couple times, and have seen redtail hawk, squirrels and chipmunks.

In a couple places other streams join the larger one.

This is a really nice trail all year long, but all year long it is also muddy.  I have never seen this trail fully dried out, although today it wasn't too bad.  Much of it is covered with a boardwalk, but it was made differently than on other trails, so it was incredibly slippery.  Mesh was added to the middle, which helps.



There were berries ripening and wildflowers along the trail today.  I'm not sure what the first clusters of berries are.  The second one is salmon berry.



A couple nice bridges cross the streams on this path.  One has been graffitied now.  Not too many rude ones, thankfully, and ones like "I love Kammi with all my heart" were touching.  This one was my favorite though.

I wish I had brought my good camera on this walk.  Instead I had just tucked my iPhone in my pocket, so some of these pictures are a bit blurry.  Especially the following charming trio... after I left Big Gulch and was walking around one end of the golf course, a mother duck and her two large fuzzy babies walked through.  Adorable!


2 comments:

  1. Haha. Are those ducks walking in the sand trap? That's awesome. I love that you have these nice areas within walking distance! So cool. Today was so wet I felt like I was over on your side. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the ducks are in a sand trap! LOL Cedar was very interested, but given his crazed love of sand traps I wasn't sure if he was interested in the ducks or the sand.

    ReplyDelete