Thursday, July 26, 2012

Heather Lake 7-8-12

Heather Lake, beautiful at all times of year, is particularly striking in her spring colors.  Snow still hangs out in patches, but the boardwalks are mostly clear, wildflowers are starting their show, and wildlife is abundant for the watchful (not just mosquitos either!)  The trail itself is a pleasant, although consistently elevation gaining. There are interesting trees, and I have always loved fierce devil's clubs.



There are quite a few places that streams cross the trail, so be prepared to get your feet wet.  I suppose if you are a native of the Northwest though, you are always prepared to get your feet wet.  In the warmer months my preference is barefoot shoes, so I can get that cooling effect and then dry quickly. Here Adventure Dog demonstrates the proper method of partially crossing a stream and then looking back to make sure your human is fording it successfully before going on.

After toiling mostly uphill for a couple miles, it is breathtaking (if you have any left) to see through the trees the rugged cliffs that rise up above the lake.


Then you are out at the lake's edge, looking at its reflective surface, and the jagged, waterfall-covered rock cliffs that stand over it.









The boardwalks that go around a lot of the lake are a lot of fun.  They are bendy and warpy, but solid and more photogenic than a straight flat boardwalk would be.

Be careful at some times of year, when avalanche danger is high.  Even with most of the snow gone, there are remnants of some pretty powerful avalanches that I needed to scramble across.


And now I believe I mentioned wildflowers and wildlife!  Let's start with the wildflowers:





And now for the cute little critters.  Just before I got to the lake, this junco was hanging out on a rock and posed nice and still for me.

Going around the lake, there were a couple of frogs.  One was unabashedly skinny-dipping and the other was crouched down on a log hoping I wouldn't see him.  I don't think he likes wildlife paparazzi.


And lastly, can you see this baby trout?  I hope so because I had to hold very still and take many shots to get this, whilst mosquitos descended on me and I was defenseless against them as I tried to get one that didn't blur or have water glare.

No comments:

Post a Comment