Monday, June 17, 2013

Icicle Ridge 6-14-13

I took the day off, took my dog and headed out early on Friday up Highway 2.  The Icicle Ridge trail is off of Icicle Road, just before you get into the town of Leavenworth.  By the time we got there it was about 11am and already hot and sunny.  I knew what to expect- 2 mi of switchbacks up, and then 2 mi back down.  Easy peasy.  The lovely gentle switchbacks started out nice and mild.

 
It did get a bit steeper toward the top, but mostly I think it was just that it was a constant UP that got Cedar and I.  Poor Adventure Dog's tail even came uncurled and we took a lot of rest and water breaks for him.  Though the wildflowers were mostly done toward the bottom of the trail, as we climbed we saw more and more.  Beautiful! 



Paintbrush and Lupine
 
Someone please tell me what this incredible flower is!



 
The views on the way up were lovely with glimpses of the Wenatchee River.
 
The trail was also delightfully populated with wildlife.  Many birds, including Clarks Nutcrackers and woodpeckers were glimpsed, along with these little lizards and a cheeky chipmunk.



 
It was so hot and uphill and Cedar was so beat that we weren't sure we would make it to the top!  Just when I thought there couldn't be much further I asked another hiker coming down and she said we were maybe halfway!  I thought about turning around, as I didn't see how I could be that far off, but decided to push on.  Only about 10 minutes later and we were out on top of the ridge!
 

View of Hwy 2 and Wenatchee River from above.

 
There was a lot of evidence of old forest fires up there and on the surrounding ridges. 
After taking a break, we followed the advice of another hiker who was on the top, and walked down the ridge to the end for a really pretty view of Leavenworth below.

 
After wending our way back down, down, down it was only right that Adventure Dog and I visited A Paw Above (great pet supply store!) and shared a brat-burger at Uncle Uli's Pub.  Cedar even got his very own, very appreciated water bowl.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment