Monday, August 5, 2013

Mt Townsend 8-4-13

Second peak climb in two days!  Woo hoo!  This peak is so far the highest of the lower peaks I have hiked at 6280 feet.  The hike was steep and long, but not the steepest or longest I've done in the last few weeks.  This trail is 8.2 miles round trip and has an elevation gain of 2900 feet.  With the gorgeous warm weather we are having, it's definitely a workout.  My cousin Amy and her dog Stickeen joined Cedar and I for this one!
We saw a deer on the highway on our way to the trailhead, then a grouse and a rabbit as we got closer. The backroads are really nice to drive around Quilcene.  Right now they are lined with daisies, fireweed, the last of the sweetpeas, fox gloves in both purple and white, and a few straggling tiger lilies as well. 
We'll start out this journey with a smile.  Apparently people on the peninsula like sharing their humor and carry Sharpies when hiking (see salal leaf from last entry).

The lower part of this trail was through forest, but it wasn't long before we were up in the wildflower meadows with a beautiful panorama spread out around us as we hiked.









The wildflowers all along the trail were cheerful and beautiful.  My camera just didn't do them justice, but here are a few.


 
 
Once we achieved the saddle back top of the ridge, we could see the high point and had just a little climb further to get to it.  On this last leg we saw both a huge pair of ravens sitting up on the ridge and also a brave little chipmunk who kept bright eye on our canine companions.
 

There were little rock towers people had stacked at the highest point.




Up here we were took in the amazing views... you could see the Puget Sound from one side and glimpse the Straits of Juan de Fuca from the other.. we all took a much-needed break and ate lunch.






I would highly recommend this hike on a day with a view.  It is really impressive and breathtaking.  There is an awful lot of climbing involved if there wasn't a view though.  I wouldn't do this hike on a cloudy day.  The best day for it would be a clear cold day I think.  The heat was just too much for little Cedar.  He made it all the way to the top on his own power, but when we started down he burrowed into the lupine and absolutely refused to take another step.  Amy helped me rig a sling from a sarong I carry in my pack and I brought him down maybe a third of a mile or so that way.  Then he was OK to hike again and came out the rest of the way on all fours. 



Get out there and enjoy this amazing part of the world!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is my favorite hike you've taken so far.

    I want to go but you'd have to carry me UP in a sling! Ha ha. I hate elevation gain. I think this would kill me. (And I can't imagine carrying Odin down in a sling. Maybe we'd just set up camp at the top. Lol.)

    Seriously though, this is so pretty. I am going to save all of these pictures in my screensaver and pretend I'm up there with you girls. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great photos, I think these are the peaks we look at from our deck. So glad you had nice clear weather even if a little hot. We rode our horses up this trail years ago and never emerged from the clouds!

    ReplyDelete