Saturday, April 29, 2017

Lime Kiln Trail 04-29-17

It was a gray day and rain was forecast for later, so I was hoping that the popular Lime Kiln Trail would be quiet despite my late start.  No such luck.  I got one of the last spots in the parking lot and it people just kept coming.  At least they were all nice, and Cedar enjoyed meeting their dogs.

Dealing with medical issues lately including anemia and arthritis in my toes, I am trying to work back up to steeper longer hikes.  Cedar and I have been doing 3 miles along a slough of the Snohomish a few times each week, but even this relatively level hike, being longer, felt like a challenge.  
Spring flowers were blooming along the trail and it was a lovely temperature.



Bleeding hearts above the Stillaguamish

This fun part of the trail has you walking under several logs like a little tunnel

Cedar checks out some old rusty saw blades

The lime kiln itself hides under moss, ferns, lichen, and other greenery and I never see it until I'm nearly on top of it. I wonder how much longer this monument to this areas history will stand?  A long time I hope, it is always interesting to think about how this area used to be bustling with trains, the lime kiln, small settlements, etc.







The moss here is super thick and many of the tree branches look like the arms of fuzzy green muppets. It covers logs, rocks and signs.

As we wound our way back up to the dirt road portion of the trail, I saw this banana slug in the entrance of a stump cave.



Happy hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment