Saturday, August 18, 2018

Heather Lake 08-18-2018

Although I had a few exciting new longer hikes in mind, I begrudgingly chose Heather Lake today for a variety of reasons.  Why do I always underrate this hike?  It is lovely and diverse, and if you go early enough to beat the crowds it is peaceful as well.



I am loving having an Apple Watch now, as I can check my distances and elevation.  It had me at exactly 2 miles from the parking lot to where the trail diverges to go around the lake, and about a mile around the lake, for a nice total (for my short legged dogs) of 5 miles and an elevation gain of just under 1300 ft.  I don't always watch it so closely, but I was curious, and it sure came in handy when people were asking me on my way down, "how far to the lake? How much farther? Am I almost there?"  haha


The lake itself is just lovely ringed by high craggy cliffs and there was still a little tiny snow pack at the far side that the dogs had fun digging and rolling on.






I was super stoked to hear a nice chorus of pikas all around the lake, but didn't see a single one, sneaky little things.  What I did see was a marmot!  I was sure surprised.  I don't recall seeing marmots here before.  I pointed it out to a couple other hikers who seemed pretty pleased to see it.  The marmot, as is typical, couldn't be bothered with its admirers as it soaked up the morning sun.


Although there are some late summer signs on the way up - berries on the devil's club, bunchberry dogwoods are at the berry stage, and blue huckleberries ripening at the top, there were also still a nice assortment of lovely wildflowers! 






Next time I need to choose a nearer, shorter hike and find myself "forced" to choose Heather Lake I'm going to remember how worthy it is. 

Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment