Sunday, September 2, 2018

Cascade Pass & Sahale Arm 09-02-2018

My day started out driving before sunrise toward a hike I'd never done.  I watched the valleys turn rose and then lemon yellow.  As I neared Marblemount in the Skagit Valley, I saw a coyote trotting through a misty field.  Day already made.

The road into this hike is a bit over 15 miles of unpaved road out of the 23 miles you're on the road.  It is heavily wash-boarded and a bit rough, but you pass beautiful waterfalls and end up at the trailhead surrounded by sheer rock faces that stretch jagged into the sky.  Thick chunks of ice cling to them in the places the sun can't reach as well.


The trail starts out going up switchbacks for almost 3 miles.  I was expecting a leg burner, but thought these were actually pretty gentle.  It was cool to see the big old trees get smaller and more bent the further up I went.  I imagine it's tough against the increasing snow and wind in those high places.  Finally you come out in the sun and cross some rocky stretches before reaching Cascade Pass.  This was an excellent place to pull up a rock, say hi to some fellow hikers and look out over the views of the valley.







Pikas were scurrying everywhere, as were marmots.  The hillsides resounded with squeaks and whistles. One marmot was on a rock in the trail.  I didn't see him until I was almost stepping on him and he hopped off the rock.  I pulled out my camera to get his photo and he decided it wasn't worth waiting for me to leave and hopped right back on the rock by my feet.  I was so happy! 



I saw a grouse (I think?  Or is it a partridge or ptarmigan?) and her young ones, another similar bird later, chipmunks, ground squirrels, Douglas squirrels, a raven, a red tail hawk, and many other little wildlife, but I MISSED the bear!  I guess about 50 other hikers saw it today.  Bummer!  I'll have to go back.






Also very cool that there were still some late season flowers blooming along the trail.  The butterflies were flitting all around them.



After this, the trail really gets more serious about climbing.  Up and up to where you can see Doubtful Lake, and the cascade that flows into it. 



Then up and up more... I am pretty sure the trail leveled out in a few places, but I can mostly remember the climb.  Not just the steepness of the trail, but the rock steps in places. 








I started up the final scramble a ways, determine to push my aching muscles the last bit of the way, but I noticed my legs were getting shaky.  I thought about how embarrassing it would be if they didn't hold me up for the descent and called the hike right there.  By then I felt like I had reached the top of the world and could see all the rugged jagged peaks over the top of the peaks I had been looking at on the way up. 




Everyone on the trail was especially nice.  I don't know if it was just because they were all as delighted as I was with the incredible views and photogenic animals, but they smiled, chatted, greeted me, were polite at moving to the side or thanked me for moving aside... just a great bunch. 

By the time I got back to my vehicle it was 5pm, and I started hiking around 9am.  What a long wonderful day!  So worth the painful muscles!


No comments:

Post a Comment