Sunday, May 26, 2019

Mount Zion 05-26-19

AppleWatch Stats:  5.38 miles RT, 1519 ft of elevation gain.

Luckily I had thrown my hiking gear from yesterday's sodden hike into my aunt's dryer so I was prepared for a hike today.  Cedar and Luna needed a leg stretcher too, so we went to Mount Zion.  Last time I did this one, it was just me and Cedar and it was very foggy so we had no view.  Today the sun had broken through and it looked like a great day to be on top of a hill.

The way up was lovely (other than the sound of gunshots from someone target practicing somewhere out on the forest service roads - we heard this the whole time, and I remember hearing it the whole time we last hiked here as well.  Bummer!)  We saw only a couple opening rhododendrons toward the start of the hike, but as we hiked up I saw quite a few of the beautiful lady slipper orchids, some coral root or indian ghost pipe just starting to show out of the ground, and flowering currants.



I think this is deer foot vanilla leaf.

The usual pink lady slipper plus a couple very pale colored ones.


It's a steady climb, but a nice grade up through the forest to the top where we were rewarded with a lovely peek-a-boo view of the puget sound.

We followed the ridge trail quite a ways to the right, passing a natural spring, and came out on a rock face escarpment with a gorgeous view of the surrounding peaks.



I think the only reason Luna looked at the view is because Cedar just did and she copies him haha
The dogs and I were happy to get out and enjoy the sunny day, and everyone else out there looked really happy too.
Here is a shot of some of the wild rhododendron along the forest service road on our way down.




No comments:

Post a Comment