Monday, January 20, 2020

Lake 22 01-20-2020

Today was overcast but not raining, at least to start with, so I headed up early to Lake 22.  I didn't bring Cedar and Luna because I knew it was going to be too cold for their feet in all that snow.  It was snowy from the trailhead all the way in.  The only places that were clear of snow were running water.  It was beautiful though.



There were several trees down across the trail from all the snow and winds.  One I slithered under and the other was a huge root ball blocker along with the tree - looked like it had been part of a small slump/landslide there.  That one required leaving the trail and going around.


There are also a few waterfalls along this trail.  The best music!


I thought this fungus looked like a little face made out of melting toasted marshmallows.

I didn't see any wildlife other than this happy little wren.

When I got up above the trees into the 4 switchbacks that traverse the slide area, I was surprised that even on such a cloudy day there was a beautiful view!

When I got up to the lake, I was surprised at how much snow there was!  The sides of the bridge, which normally you can rest your elbows on, were more at ankle height!


The lake was covered with snow and ice - it had a little bit of a bluish tinge in places.  It was so pretty and peaceful.




I had brought hot water along in my extra pair of socks, and used it to make ramen noodles!  It was maybe an odd breakfast, but delicious to eat hot noodles in the snow while looking at the frozen lake and listening to the occasional crack and rattle of small avalanches up on the cliffs.

There was a lot of postholing and slipping by me, but my yaktrax and poles kept me pretty much upright the entire snowy hike.  It was too much for my traction though - I had a casualty.

Happy hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment