Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Introduction and Catch Up - North Cascade Highway

I grew up here in the Pacific Northwest, and though I am glad for the opportunities and growth that living in other places allowed me, I am delighted to be back in Western Washington again.  I believe that is one of, if not THE, most beautiful places on Earth, and there have been times when I have been certain that any concept of Heaven could not compare either.  No greens could be greener, no moss thicker, no rain drops so persistant.... 
Now and then I find someone who will share the beauty here with me for a month or a day, but this year I gave up on waiting for companions and my dog, Cedar, and I have just been getting out there.  One of our 1st excursions on our own this summer was actually a trip to see my Dad, who lives in Eastern Washington.  I usually take I-90, but this time, I went north and across on the North Cascades Highway/Hwy 20.  It is a stunning drive, and follows the Skagit River up past Marblemount.  I spent most of the weekends of one summer rafting there... not a lot of rapids, but beautiful rugged countryside, salmon, deer, eagles, and nice people. I think there is something for everyone, with wineries and waterfalls to stop at.
I didn't get very far that night, and camped at my (so far) favorite campground in that area, Goodell Creek Campground.  It is right off the highway, but also right along the Skagit, and the sound of the river helps maintain a sense of peace and quiet, toning down any barking dog or whining young camper. There are some really big Douglas fir in there and the campsites are spaced well, so you aren't camping right on top of someone else.

The sunrise didn't wake me, as it was cloudy the next morning, but it was magical driving further up the highway with the peaks along the road rising up into the mist and the call of ravens on the damp silent air.  Very Tolkien-ish.  I always stop at the Gorge Powerhouse near Newhalem for the short walk (which crosses a narrow bridge) to Ladder Creek Falls.  The small, but powerful frothy white stream has cut a deep channel for itself, and I think is worth seeing.  I have made a trip back since and the Ladder Creek Falls trail was closed, but I am sure it was just for repair and hopefully will be open the next time I go.  The little bridge was still open, and made for some nice photo backdrops.

The next stop isn't too far, the Gorge Creek Falls and Dam overlook.  Another short trail, not even a hike, although I think the best views of the waterfall are from the bridge.  It is pedestrian friendly, but the bridge itself is made of metal grating that doesn't limit your view, so Cedar was terrified. He doesn't like bridges he can see through. 
These are just the key points along the first part of that day's drive, but continuing over the pass, and winding down and east through orchards of apples, you just really have to breathe deep and realize how lucky we are to be here. 
I would be remiss without mentioning the town of Winthrop.  I have made a trip back along this highway since then just to go to Winthrop.  It's a long drive, but worth it.  You feel like you have just stepped into an Old West movie... board walks, a coffee shop with saddles for seats, a candy store (with fantastic fudge!!), and a host of shops are hard to fit in on a day trip.  I'll have to go back again so I can explore further and maybe try another kind of fudge.

Well, I will post as I can, and bring this up to the present hopefully, and share my adventures with anyone who cares to read them.  I plan on getting out and hiking quite a lot, even through the winter if possible, because I am scheduled to climb Mount Rainier next August and want to be ready for that ultimate stairmaster. 
Next up, a short camping/hiking trip along the Mountain Loop Highway....

No comments:

Post a Comment