Friday, November 5, 2010

Wallace Falls

I had heard about Wallace Falls somewhere a couple years ago and liked the sound of it, but it took me until this summer to hike it.  There are a Lower, Middle and Upper Falls, and I believe a lake further up as well.  I hiked this with a couple friends and their two dogs, my oldest son, and Cedar.  This was a relatively easy trail, which starts out under a power line, but then winds along the Wallace River.  Depending on your ability and desire, you could just walk in and enjoy the 1st section and the river. 

The Lower Falls are fairly easy to reach for most people, at just under 2 miles in, and there is a covered picnic area there at the overlook, so that is a great destination for people who don't want too much of a hike. 
Our friends had smaller dogs than mine and were working on training them a bit, so they stepped out at the Lower Falls and my son and I went on to the Middle Falls.  It was only another .3 of a mile further I believe, but slightly steeper going.  We didn't want to leave our friends waiting for too long, so we turned around at that point.  Next time I go, I'll make Upper (at 2.75 mi in).
 
I did go back a week or so later because I had noticed a lot of red huckleberries on that hike, but it wasn't much of a berry season this year anyway, and it was too late.  I got about 5 huckleberries total and didn't even go all the way up to the Lower Falls.  I turned around instead and picked about a gallon of blackberries which I made into a delectable crisp later, and ate warm with ice cream.  The Northwest is such a good place for wild foods!  Next year, I hope I find more berries and will try my hand at canning.

No comments:

Post a Comment