Saturday, May 12, 2018

Heather Lake 05-06-2018

Trying to get back into training - this time for a long hike instead of a mountain climb, I decided to hike Heather Lake early on a Sunday.  There used to be a time when if I got to a trail head by 7am there would be maybe one other car, but now it is at least half a dozen if I'm lucky.


The trail was wet, rocky, steep and just as glorious as I remembered.  Wildflowers were blooming - yellow violets, trillium, and salmon berries. 



I could hike this trail a million times, but each time - once I get out there under those towering mossy gnarled trees - is a spiritual experience. 


About a quarter mile from the lake we hit snow - the hard melted, refrozen kind, but it was still so beautiful. 



The lake was mostly covered as well still - not with ice, but just with those layers of snow.  I had read trip reports that people were hearing and seeing avalanches, but I had no such luck.  Still, it would be a bad idea to walk all the way around the lake until the avalanche danger has subsided. 





What a beautiful hike, and what a great kick off to the hiking season and trail training again!



No comments:

Post a Comment