Sunday, October 21, 2018

Maple Pass Loop 10-21-2018

I met up with a colleague I had not met before in person for this hike and was glad I did!  Despite my usual preference for solitude on the trail she was a joy and had done a lot of cool hikes and gone interesting places. 
We got there around 930am and all the parking spots in the lot were taken.  There was still room on the turn in road though, so we snagged one of those (on the way back I could see people parked up and down the highway!).  We hiked this counter clockwise, as I didn't want to hit those steep switchbacks right off the bat.  Last time I tried to do this one it was a hot day and I hadn't known that I was anemic and I just couldn't catch my breath.  Dave was with me for that round and I didn't make it more than a couple miles in.  This time, success!
We did the side trail to Lake Ann and there was a lot of ice on the little outlet stream and pools.  It was lovely though.  It was nice to look down on it as we hiked above it and see where we had been and how much elevation we had gained after we left its shore.



I saw a few pikas scurrying about squeaking, but didn't get any shots of them.  We enjoyed the beautiful scarlet blueberry leaves and even though the larches were past their prime there were still plenty of golden ones. 



The views from the pass are beautiful and I love how rugged the peaks are up here in the north. 




We were joined by a little chipmunk who was intent on grooming.  I thought he'd come up to see if we had any lunch to share, but the hikers here must be pretty good and the wildlife mostly kept its distance. 


On the way down we enjoyed views of Lake Ann to our left and wayyy, down below, Rainy Lake to our right. 
Then we switchbacked down through the meadows and the woods and over a stream to finish out our hike. 


My Apple Watch got us at 8 miles even, although I forgot to hit "resume" after a break, so probably lost a tenth of a mile or so there.  The elevation gain it had was about 2200 ft. 
What a very gorgeous day for a hike!  Blue skies and sunshine the whole time.  Everyone was out enjoying it though, which made for a very crowded trail.  Friendly happy people though!

On the way out toward Rockport we pulled over in the wildlife viewing area and got to see some bald eagles to top the day off.  Great day out!

No comments:

Post a Comment