Sunday, October 14, 2018

Mt Dickerman 10-14-2018

The day was supposed to be clear, so I took advantage and hiked Mt Dickerman. I had never hiked it before, and knew it was going to be pushing it for me with the distance plus elevation gain.  It was SO WORTH IT!  The views were absolutely stunning and all the hikers at the top were just blown away with the awe of it all.  But I am getting ahead of myself.

The hike starts out switchbacking through the forest.





This time of year it was pretty nice to see a lot of different fungi springing up from the forest floor, and dead wood.

Mmmm, corals



After seemingly forever the trees thinned and opened up to more alpine trees, brilliant fall foliage and amazing views of the nearer peaks and ridges.




I was super happy to spot a couple mountain goats!



There was some ice on the way up - sprawling up through the trail and coating the tops of slow-moving pools.


Once at the top, after pushing my aching legs all the way, I was almost brought to tears by the stunning views in every direction.  I could see Baker, Glacier, Shuksan, even Rainier, along with all the less white crags rising around me.  I could even see some part of the Puget Sound, although I couldn't tell what part of the water I was looking at.





I really took my time up there and soaked in that beauty as I ate my lunch before heading down.
On the way down I saw this strange gray creature heading into the trees ; )

Also a Clark's Nutcracker I think...

Boy I thought those switchbacks were challenging on the way up?  The way down felt like it was never-ending! Haha.  I did spot this cute little garter snake though, with his orange and yellow like he was dressed for autumn.

Happy hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment