Sunday, July 21, 2019

Lime Kiln Trail 07-21-2019

Cedar, Luna and I were only going to hike in to the Lime Kiln and do 5 mi RT today, but it was so nice and cool that both dogs seemed energetic and up to going all the way to the river shore, so we did.
Apple Watch stats: 7.01 mi RT, 692 ft of elevation gain

We got to the trailhead just a few minutes after 7am and were only the 4th car there, which is fantastic.  We had the whole way in nearly to ourselves.  The day is supposed to get up into the 80's so I wanted to do this not only while it was quiet, but also while it was still cool. 

Today's focus seemed to be the trail itself.  Although I've done this trail more than almost any other, I love it just as much each time I get out there. 






There were ripe huckleberries and thimbleberries along the trail today, which was nice.  Not a lot of flowers, but a few fox gloves, some tiny white ones I can't recall the name of, and little purple ones like the one contrasted against the moss here.

The Lime Kiln never fails to amaze me at how it blends in now, all clad in moss and foliage.  Around it people have gathered old saw blades, bricks, and various other historical doodads.  I tried to get a photo of Cedar, Luna and I in the kiln, but my iPhone very unhelpfully focused on the dirt in front of us instead.  I'll put it at the end as an outtake.



After the Lime Kiln you start getting a few better views of the green Stillaguamish below.  At the end of the trail, I shared a sausage with the pups and relaxed on the boulders, listening to the rush of the river.  I noticed this artistic boulder, an impressionistic face carved out by the Stilly. 




Also across the river from our snack spot I saw this little spotted sand piper!  Cute!

Our blurry selfie:


No comments:

Post a Comment