Saturday, July 13, 2019

Mt Dickerman 7-13-2019

Today's hike up Mt Dickerman was a winner even if the clouds obscured the vast views I had on this peak last year.  There were still plenty of beautiful vistas, lovely wildflowers, and the music of small mountain streams.
AppleWatch Stats: 9.3 miles RT, 3695 ft of elevation gain

This hike is pretty much all switchbacks.  It starts out in second growth forest with some beautiful old giants mixed in.  In this quieter, darker forest I saw Indian ghost pipe, coral root, slime mold, queens cup, twinflowers and some fun fungi.


Indian pipe, or ghost pipe


As you weave back and forth, soon you'll notice the trees become the shorter more gnarled trees associated with subalpine areas, and then you'll start getting some views here and there.  This is also where I started noticing lupine, heather, columbine, tiger lily, monkeyflowers, phlox and more.










The trail itself varies on this hike as well - sometimes soft forest duff, sometimes uneven rocks and roots.  There are also steps and this little stretch of rock.  I ended up having the hike up pretty much all to myself, a few people at the beginning and then I didn't see anyone else until I neared the top and people coming down and up behind me started passing in both directions.  I was thinking about how life is much like a trail. Everyone has to hike their own hike, some have easy sections and some are pretty gruelling. Sometimes you hike alone and sometimes you're surrounded by others.  Sometimes there are breathtaking views and sometimes you're blinded by your own toiling.... Always a worthy adventure though!




I didn't see much wildlife - birds that wouldn't hold still for a shot and banana slugs.  I heard pikas and a grouse but never saw them.  Funny enough I saw a deer in my own yard once I got home haha.  This trail just keeps climbing and climbing.  Hikers are great - always full of encouragement.  I'm sure I looked like I needed it too, since my face turns beet red within the first 10 feet and stays that way the whole hike.  And finally I attained the top!  Peaks around me loomed in and out of the mist and it was pretty peaceful as all the hungry hikers around me snacked and rested after their climb.  I could both see and hear a group of beautiful waterfalls way down below and across the valley.







If you look close you'll see a mosquito on my hat and two more over my head.
Where I sat to eat my lunch I could see these strange and pretty little flowers all growing at the edge.  I am not overly fond of heights so I couldn't get quite as close as I wanted - probably why they were growing there, where no one could trample them. There were even these little red succulents growing along the edge.  It was like a miniature cliff garden.  I haven't yet been able to identify any of them.  I think I should get a better flower book!

I believe this is spotted saxifrage




As I headed back down the mountain, I heard a rumble of thunder from the next peaks over and thought it was a great thing that I was not going to be on top when a thunderstorm came through - but then I realized I was actually hearing an avalanche somewhere over by the ice caves.  Always an ominous sound!
Happy adventuring!

No comments:

Post a Comment