Saturday, August 8, 2020

Cascade Pass - Sahale Arm 08-02-2020

Knowing the views are phenomenal on this hike, I picked a nice sunny day for it.  I had tried to hike to the Sahale Arm Camp previously, but only made it to the final scramble before my legs were jello.  I was hoping to get all the way today, but even if I didn't, the whole hike is just so beautiful and worthy.

After hiking up 30+ switchbacks (I think it's 36, but I always lose count), I reached Cascade Pass.  



People there told me there were mountain goats up the hill there toward the toilet, so I went on up and found them!  It's super important to keep a safe distance, which I did.  I was told there were 3-4 goats, and saw them up a draw, where I got some photos and turned around to go back.  What I didn't know was there were more goats behind, and as I came around a tree one way, two moms with babies came the other way. We were about 6 ft apart, and I backed up quickly, as did she, so no close up pics of that encounter!  



The wildflowers and views were gorgeous - you just can't look in any direction, near or far, without being wowed here.









Looking out over Lake Doubtful is a nice place to turn around for people not wanting to get to Sahale Arm.

Marmots and pikas were out and about.  The pikas were too fast for my camera, but the marmots don't seem to mind posing a bit.



I took my time, some small breaks, and made it to the top!  I was so happy to have completed something that I failed to do before.  



Happy hiking!


No comments:

Post a Comment