Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Heather Lake 1-2-12

Wow, my first hike of 2012.  Hard to believe this year has already gotten underway.  Heather Lake, was gorgeous as usual.  Cedar and I got up and back before the day's rain and wind got going.  There were only a few cars at the trailhead, so we had it pretty much to ourselves. 




The lake itself had snow pack all around it and some ice on it.  The trail around was easily followed and manageable, no avalanche danger to speak of, so we went all the way around.  I could hear little avalanches above and saw a few soccer ball-sized ice chunks fall, but they were a long way up.  That happens even in the summer with these steep eroding mountainsides.  Someday I'm going to catch one on film!!



One thing I did catch with my camera this time, was this beautiful woodpecker, which I believe to be a red-breasted sapsucker.  I didn't call him that to his face though. 

Happy hiking!

1 comment:

  1. I like the picture of Cedar by the little waterfall but the one of him peeking out from behind the tree is really funny!

    ReplyDelete