Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Lord Hill Park 12-31-2011

Before the New Year festivities got going Dave, Cedar and I ventured into Lord Hill Regional Park.  I had never been there, but Dave remembered Beaver Lake from when he was younger.  I thought this park was pretty terrific (despite my low number of pictures).  The trails meander around the hill, bodies of water, through various types of forest and are well marked.  There are even "You Are Here" maps here and there, so you can enjoy your adventure without wondering if you're going to find your way back out. 
We hiked pretty much straight in to Beaver Lake, an active beaver pond, full of stumps and marshy grasses.  I think I glimpsed beavers, but nothing I could pick up with my camera.  We also saw a lovely pair of hooded mergansers (although my one picture was blurry), blue heron and deer sign.


There were some really rain-foresty, mossy areas.  These pictures would make crazy puzzles!


I will have to come back to this park and explore some more!  Next time I'll get some more pictures.  There are quite a few horses on the wider trails which they are allowed on.  They were all very well-mannered and everyone we met on the trail was very friendly.  Definitely keep your dog on a leash.  Adventure Dog does better off his, but these are pretty busy, and with horses and fast-moving mountain bikes, it was best he was tethered. 
Don't let this picture stump you.  It's Super Dave branching out in the world.  Tree-hee-hee?

1 comment: