Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Franklin Ghost Town Revisited 3-31-13

Another gorgeous day and for Easter, both my sons agreed to go for a short hike with me!  Last spring Dave and I had done this one and it was very moving to me.  Also I noticed that there were daffodils in the abandoned cemetary and thought they would be in bloom this time.  We grabbed Adventure Dog and off we went!

 
First we went to the right past the mining cart, to view some old foundations.  I believe these were part of the mining process and building, as opposed to reseidences.  Bradley, Justus and Cedar had a good time climbing around.

 
After that, we went back the other way and came to the mine shaft.  This shaft is about 1300 ft deep and if you drop a rock it is several seconds before you hear it hit bottom.  This was the site of one of the worst mining disasters in U.S. history.  37 miners died of suffocation during a fire here.  I think it is pretty sad that there is no memorial with the names here. 
 
After that we headed down the narrow trail to the cemetary, stopping to look at things along the way.

 

 

 
The cemetary was sunny and peaceful with its vine-clad trees and daffodils blooming. 

 

 
It was really really cool that both boys could join me for this, and I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day!  So sunny and warm!  What a happy Easter!
 
Also, Mt Rainier was out and shining in snowy splendor.

 

1 comment:

  1. You should have gone out first and hidden Easter Eggs! Ha ha ha. Cool trip though. Looks like it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete