Saturday, April 20, 2013

Lime Kiln and Tulips 4-20-13

The day was dark and rainy, but you can't wait for a sunny day here in the Northwest, so I grabbed my backpack and Adventure Dog, and we went out to a nearby old favorite, the Lime Kiln Hike.  I was delighted to find some of the first wildflowers I've seen of the season... yellow violets, soggy trillium and rain-covered bleeding hearts could be found along the muddy trail.

Skunk cabbage was also blooming and fern fiddleheads were opening.  I love fiddleheads, and I'm not sure if it's because I enjoy spirals or if I just love being the witness to life unfurling.


There was water everywhere this morning, the sky, the air, the trees, the trail.  All the streams were full and rushing down to meet the Stillaguamish which was impressively huge and beautiful.


I like to watch where I'm walking so that I don't tread upon anyone crossing my path at a lower plane and slower speed.  ; )

Cedar and I checked out the rusty saw blades as usual.  He always seems interested in these things and runs ahead to check things out.


We only went as far as the Lime Kiln itself today.  With the Stilly that full, I was pretty sure our rocky beach was under water.  We instead ducked under the more open lime kiln on the side, and ate under the shelter of the mossy stones.



After our wet hike, we headed home, where I enjoyed a hot shower and left Cedar curled up in the recliner.  I decided to go check out the Skagit Tulip Festival.  Dogs aren't allowed in most of the fields, so I didn't feel bad about leaving him behind.  The rain had mostly stopped, so although it was cloudy, the tulips were stunning.  Look!













1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh!!! Those tulips are just so freaking gorgeous. Someday I want to come over and visit during Tulip Fest or whatever so I can see them.

    ReplyDelete