Sunday, July 15, 2018

Goat Lake 07-15-2018

Thinking of temps in the low to mid 80's and 10 miles, I realized that this hike would be pushing it a bit.  Turned out to be closer to 90 and 11 miles - yikes!

I have been putting this hike off a bit since I hike with just me and the dogs and there has been a bear sighted a lot on this trail.  A ranger last weekend said Elliot the bear had moved on, but one of the backpackers on her way out said that he was in her camp last night.  We never did see the bear, and there were a LOT of people and dogs on the trail.

I took the hike slow as I didn't want to push the dogs too hard.  So I got to enjoy all the flowers and mushrooms and stuff along the trail as we went. 




Although I had decided against taking the little side track to the waterfall on the way, it sounded too beautiful to miss, so the dogs and I treked over the fallen trees to the stream.  You can still see parts of the plank road that once led up to an old lodge or hotel along here.  The waterfall is really worth it too.  What a gorgeous cascade of thundering white water!


There is something about arriving at a jewel-like alpine lake after trekking through trees vastly older than yourself that just takes your breath away.  So beautiful!




Once we got to the lake we went down the shore to a spot we could just rest, eat our lunch, and look at the lovely water.  Water skeeters played on the surface and little fish jumped.  We took our time so they could rest enough to get back to the car.






We took Upper Elliot trail to the lake, and Lower Elliot trail back.  Upper Elliot goes through a lot of aspen groves and for the most part is gently sloping.


It had really heated up and I thought being along the river with more tree cover would make it cooler for the way back.  Instead it was a lot like hiking through a lovely green oven.  Luna got too tired and even with lots of water breaks and getting the dogs all wet in the streams, she kept stopping and digging in on the side of the trail.  So I took a sarong I carry in my pack and made a little sling for her.



About 3/4 of a mile of toting my fluffy puppy and I thought I was going to keel over haha.  Luckily I gave her a shot at hiking the rest of the way on her own four paws, and she had regained enough energy to do it!  Yay! 

Definitely enjoy the hell out of this hike every time - both Upper and Lower trails are gorgeous, the lake and the waterfalls and the streams.  Worth every step.  I also learned a bit on this particular hike.  I will pay more attention to combinations of heat and length for the dogs sake as well as my own.  I couldn't believe my little Cedar trucked right on through the whole hike like a champ at age 9. 

Enjoy your adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment