Sunday, March 17, 2019

Double Bluff and Lake 22 3-16/17-2019

What a difference a day makes!  Yesterday I was baking on the beach with Dave and the pups, enjoying sunny blue skies and distant mountains, and today I was hiking through the snow up in the mountains - again sunny blue skies, but definitely still winter there.

Doublebluff is such a nice beach.  Cedar and Luna can roam around without being on leash and they love it.  Cedar likes so sniff driftwood and pee on things, Luna likes to run in big circles, splash in the shallows and climb up things.


A lot of shells were there for the beachcombers - sand dollars, chiton, partial Lewis moonsnail shells and many varieties of bivalves.

There were a lot of seabirds, but we saw no eagles.  Probably because I guaranteed Dave we would see some haha.

When we came back to this big log, Dave climbed up to show Cedar and Luna it was doable, but took them a bit to figure it out.
"I don't think he really went up this way."

"How the heck did you get up there?"

"He did go up this way! We can get to him!"

"Mission accomplished."

"Now let's get down from this crazy log!"

Today I left early while the snow was still hardpacked and made an attempt at Lake 22.  I had read a trip report on WTA that mentioned something about an avalanche, but I didn't really understand what they were getting at, and missed the trip report that was posted after that which had a lot more details.

The parking lot requires AWD or 4WD even though it's just off the road, and the trail is packed snow/ice starting right at the trailhead.  There were only a couple other cars there, so I had the trail pretty much to myself.  It was soooo beautiful!  Then I got up to the 3 switchbacks that cross the open slope/slide area and heard the unmistakable CRACK of snow breaking free in an avalanche.  I decided it was pretty far up the slope and I didn't see it, so I thought I'd just pay attention and give it a try.  I could see this beautiful waterfall of giant icicles up at the top left and was hoping to get a photo of it when I got closer.  When I got to the 2nd switchback I heard the frozen waterfall go - it was the most amazing and terrifying sound!  Like an entire china shop had just been dumped out and everything all shattering and echoing.  I hesitated awhile and then decided that I could probably still do this.  I had just started in on the 3rd switchback and was making my way over some recent avalanche debris (flow of heavy snow filled with chunks of solid ice) when I heard another avalanche coming down the middle.  NO thank you!  It was going to just get more unstable as the day warmed up!  Leave the slope to hike away and I'll live to hike another day!  My heart was pounding like an amorous woodpecker as I made my way as quick as I safely could back down those switchbacks.

Once back in the safety of the trees I just relaxed and enjoyed the beauty around me again.  Huge gnarly cedars stretching up into the sky, stumps covered with thick white caps of snow.





I warned a few people about the snow field as I met them on their way up.  Hopefully no one gets hurt today.  I saw a few people with regular running shoes and I don't even think they will make it up that far.  I also saw a hiking cat! It was riding on its owner's shoulders and looking around at all that snow.  I don't know if it will do any hiking, but it sure seemed interested and not scared/worried in the least.

Happy and safe adventuring!

No comments:

Post a Comment