Sunday, March 24, 2019

Oyster Dome 3-19-2019

AppleWatch Stats:  8.31 miles RT, 2067 ft of elevation gain (includes side trip to Lily Lake).

Finally, my 3rd attempt at Oyster Dome this spring was successful.  The first time I tried it our big February snowfall was just starting as I drove out to the trailhead and the roads became unsafe before I could even there.  The 2nd attempt it was still just too icy and snowy for me and my pups, so I just did about 3/4 of the hike.  This time, my best friend since middle school had come by to visit so I took the day off and we hit the trail!



It was a gorgeous day and even though it was a Tuesday there were quite a few people on the trail.  Lisa showed me how to identify turkey tail mushrooms and we gathered enough to make one cup of tea to share later.  My first turkey tail tea, and it was good!

There was still a bit of snow on the trail, but you could go around most, or just walk through without it being too slick.  We got up to the top of Oyster Dome and it was warm sunny rock with no snow.  We sat for awhile soaking in the sunshine and the amazing views.



On the way back down from the dome, we did a quick side trip up to Lily Lake.  Just .2 miles each way, but I've never added that on before.  It was much snowier following that little ravine, but the cold breeze felt great on such a warm day.





Such a nice hike on such a nice day made for a perfect opportunity to pop into LaConner to walk around and grab a cheeseburger and cider at the LaConner Brewery.  I have to say I LOVE that place.  They serve a homemade clam chowder that is my absolute favorite, and after a hike that juicy cheeseburger and icy vanilla cider was exquisite.

 Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment